Review: Maybelline Total Temptation Mascara


I love trying new makeup products to see if I can find a new favourite so of course when the Maybelline Total Temptation Mascara came out I was eager to give it a go because I absolutely love their Lash Sensational one.
I really like the design with the black contrasted with the pink and just the way that the lid is more of a semicircle and then slowly transforms into a full circle at the base. I just think that it looks quite sophisticated and stylish overall. I also love how it clicks into place when you screw the lid back on so that you know it is sealed properly. However, the materials used for the packaging makes it feel quite cheap in comparison to their other mascaras. I'm not sure what it is, but even when you take the lid off, the whole thing just kind of resembles a replica made for children to play with.  
That being said, the wand and brush are both really sturdy and don't have the same cheap feeling that the packaging has which is good as the brush is the most important part of the design. I have had mascaras that were so poorly made that the brush bent as you applied it and could most likely have broken off over time so I was very happy to see such a strong one here! It is a medium sized brush which suits a range of lash types and it has bristles as opposed to being made of rubber which a lot of people don't like. The only thing that I would say about the brush is that the bristles are really short and appear to be grouped into little sets of three around the brush instead of being separated evenly like a hairbrush etc. This means that your lashes do stick together and you have to separate them to create the fan effect which is quite annoying. Also the short bristles mean that you need to coat your lashes a few times to get the volume and length that you want because they aren't long enough to fully coat them the first time. 
For me, the formula is quite wet and takes ages to set, especially if you apply a few coats like I do. Sometimes I blink after applying it and find that I get lash marks under my lower lash line from the mascara which I don't think I have ever had before. It is a very creamy formula and is enriched with coconut to make your lashes become more nourished and conditioned. Although I think my lashes did feel a lot more flexible in comparison to some other formulas which make them rock hard, I do think that it doesn't last as well because it doesn't set in place properly. 



Another thing that I noticed was the slight fragrance that it has to it. It smells a lot like coconut and whilst I don't mind it, I know a lot of people who do; especially if they have sensitive eyes. I think that the fragrance goes well with the fact that they have introduced coconut to help condition the lashes, but for an area as sensitive as the eyes, I don't know if it was quite necessary. 
I do think that this mascara gives your lashes a lot of volume and makes them look thicker, darker and healthier too. It helps your eyes stand out as the formula is quite wet and therefore makes your lashes look sleek and nourished. I noticed that they looked longer and fuller which is what I look for in a mascara so that is definitely good! So, if you can overlook the occasional clumps and product transfer, then give this one a go and see if you like it. 
Overall I think that I would give this mascara a 3/5. I don't completely hate it as it has a lot of good qualities such as the sturdy wand, the soft bristles, the stylish design and the decent price of £8.99. But personally I think I will stick to my trusty Lash Sensational mascara just because I think this formula is too wet and sticky for my liking and whilst I like how free and natural my lashes feel when using this one, I think that the Lash Sensational lasts a lot longer and doesn't have much of a chance of transferring to clothes etc because it does actually dry properly. I also don't have time in the morning to separate my lashes if they clump together because of the short bristles, so I need one with a brush that can do the coating and separating at the same time, which unfortunately this one does not. I would probably use this for days out or going to school if you are allowed to because it is still a good quality one and lasts for quite a while, but for anything else then I would most likely leave this one at home. 
I hope this has helped you if you were thinking of trying this mascara as I always like to see what other people have said about a product before I buy it just in case I find out that I am going to be wasting my money haha. But remember, these are just my opinions; you may try it and absolutely love it or you may use it once and never use it again.....but let me know if you do/have already! 

xx
Share:

2 comments

  1. I actually quite liked this from my memory but I way prefer Lash Sensational so there was never much point in repurchasing it!

    Jasmine xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, maybe my lashes just didn't want to cooperate haha. Yeah exactly, same for me x

      Delete

© PaulaMarie | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig